Information about Sikinos
- Sikinos belongs to the Cyclades islands cluster
- Sikinos covers around 42.5 square km
- It has approximately 240 inhabitants
- Connection with Athens via the port of Piraeus
- Connection with Sifnos, Naxos, Ios, Folegandros, Milos, Kimolos, Sifnos, Serifos, Paros, Anafi and Santorini.
Sikinos has retained all of its island character, and this adds to its attractions for those in search of peace and an authentic atmosphere.
The island has been inhabited since ancient times
, as has been proved by the finds made in the Episkopi district.
The only road on Sikinos links Alopronia, the island's harbour, with Hora or Kastro, one of the most beautiful villages anywhere in the Cyclades. There are fine stone mansions to admire, and a church of Our Lady 'Pantanassa'. The Zoodohos Pigi monastery, built on the peak of a rock, is more reminiscent of an impregnable castle from a distance.
As in all isolated Cycladic islands, the local religious feasts
are celebrated with great enthusiasm.
There are a few rooms for rent on Sikinos, all of them in Hora. Basic meals are served at the island's restaurants and tavernas.